Monday, October 22, 2007

Broad traditions

Different types of Hindu practices:
  1. Devotional Hinduism which comprises 98 % of the Hindu population. This focuses on the worship of certain deities.
  2. Reformed Hinduism which includes the people that follow Dayanand Saraswati, who is the founder of the Arya Samaj movement. They respect the five elements of Earth Water, Fire, Sun and Wind.
  3. Followers of individual gurus and neo-Hindu churches.
  4. Followers of yoga and meditation in order to obtain self realization
  5. Marginal Hindu movements

http://www.abc.net.au/religion

7 comments:

a_random_guy said...

Devotional Hinduism composes 98% of the Hindu population?! Thats astouding...what made this particular practice so popular?

claire said...

It's interesting that there are different branches of Hinduism yet the devotional hinduism is the most popular.. I didn't know that!

Carah C. said...

I also found it interesting that there were different types of hiduism. that is pretty unique to this religion.

Shannon said...

I find it interesting that a single branch of Hinduism has such an overwhelming majority; I thought that the variety in practices was much greater. I wonder why that has happened with Hinduism, but most other religions seem so split.

Rusty Derrick said...

I agree with carah. There are not this many specific types of any religion besides Hinduism. That is very interesting.

Kate said...

I never knew that Hinduism had different types, that's pretty cool, and I never knew Devotional Hinduism was so popular... 98% wow.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.